Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Ta’if in Saudi Arabia

Tail which lies southeast of Jeddah and the Holy Coty of Makkah stands 1800 meters above sea-level.

Ta’if had its beginning as a city as far back as 67 BC and enjoyed the prestige of a commercially strategic center for more than 1000 years. There are archaeological remains in the basin that date back before 2000 BC. Ancient dams and irrigation systems testify to continual use for agriculture production.
Ta’if is an old resort town, an ancient station on the caravan routes and an even older oasis settlement. Its regularly abundant supplies made the city an important staging post for the many caravans.

Factors such as excellent agricultural land, pleasant climate, ample water and convenience to the holy places during both pre-Islamic and Islamic times, were responsible for Ta’if long prosperity.

The word Ta’if appears derived from the root word meaning enclosure and thus may refer to the city walls encompassing the city. The earliest settlers used to build protective walls around their corps. Ta’if acquired this name after the Thaqif tribe defeated and expelled the Hawazin bani Amir fr0m the oasis and then built a wall to prevent their being forced out.
In 628 AD, the Prophet Muhammad left Makkah for Ta’if with his family. He went there to give the message of Islam and to look for the support of the townspeople. They not only refused to support him but insulted him. They threw stones at him and badly injured him.

Ta’if is known as the “garden of the Hejaz” because of its location atop an antediluvian escarpment that leads into the Hejaz mountain range and overlooks the Makkan plain below from the dramatic height of 1800 meters.
Ta’if in Saudi Arabia
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The most popular posts